As the new year approaches, I find it is helpful to write down one’s rules for living. I have done this for the last few years and find it is help. Published below are some of my (non-personal) rules. I would also be very interested in hearing your rules — feel free to email them to me.
– don’t waste your talents. If you are blessed, help others.
– if you are reading this, chances are that your life is better than at least 90% of the people on earth. Always remember that. Use your talents and wealth to make the world better for the other 90%.
– always be adamant about learning. Time is not on your side. Listen to books on tape. Read the paper every day. Incorporate learning into your daily routine
– force yourself to read at least 10 pages of a book every day. A real book (with at least 150 pages) — not a periodical.
– go out of your way to help people. Always be the first to proactively volunteer to drive a friend to the airport or help her move. Always try to connect people to one another if they can mutually benefit.
– don’t complain … ever. Don’t sweat the little things …
– don’t hang out with people that complain
– fire people that complain
– never, ever be unethical. Follow the ten commandments to a tee. In the rare case that you tell a lie, make sure you force yourself to feel bad about it.
– always be on time and respect other people’s time
– always have something to read
– fix little problems right away
– always carry a pen
– "the perfect is the enemy of the good". There are things that need to be done right and there are things you need to do right now.
– "one does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time" – Andre Gide
– "the worst thing you can do for those you love is the things they could do and should do for themselves." – Abraham Lincoln
– "you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take" – Wayne Gretzky
These little gems are so true! Some people say that it is even better to help people that cannot return your favour! I really believe in making this world a better place! Actually, every company that I start will have a positive impact, not just on my cashflow, but on the society in general.
Good luck with your new venture!
do you have a source for the gretzky quotation? i’ve seen it as:
you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take
you miss 100% of the shots you never take
100% of the shots you don’t take don’t go in
wikipedia sources their other quotation, but not that one.