I’m getting a lot of emails from people that are looking for a job and want advice. Here is the simple advice.
– contact 50-100 companies per week. (if you cannot do that, you’re not the go-getter that companies want)
– before contacting each company — research each company thoroughly. Will take you 30-60 minutes per company.
– contact the exact person at the company that you want to talk to. if it is a small company, email the CEO. A large company, email the right person. email them directly, do not ask for an intro. And you should be smart enough to figure out someone’s email address
– tell that person in two sentences who you are. Tell the person in two sentences some great ideas you have for the company. Attach you resume.
– at least 2% (and probably 10% if you are really impressive) of the companies you contact will be interested in talking with you … even if they are not hiring.